FAQs for O and A Level Admissions
1) Does your school help the students with placements?
A Level branches have a full-time career placement office to assist the students in every sphere. Moreover, support from our Student Counselling Office based at the Head Office with country’s leading counselling consultants is always available to the students.
2) Will there be any coaching for SAT in school?
Yes, in all our major A Level campuses across Pakistan. We have a reputation of very high student attainment in SAT scores with several students gaining full marks.
3) What probability is there for TCS students to get into leading universities of Pakistan and abroad?
The City School offers GCE O & A Level set by Cambridge Assessment International Examination (CAIE) to its students which has an excellent reputation in Pakistan and across the globe. Our students are trained as all-rounders, are competent and easily enrolled in leading universities in Pakistan and abroad. The equivalence process ensures equal access to all the leading universities.
4) What are the incentives for TCS students enrolling in various renowned universities of Pakistan and abroad?
Our counsellors help our students attain scholarships in Pakistan and in universities across the globe. In 2016-17 students gained scholarships in 19 countries and 25 universities overseas.
5) Is boarding available in schools?
6) Do you offer a gym facility to O and A Level students?
Usually yes, and if not on campus at facilities nearby.
7) Is there an air conditioning facility for O and A Level students?
8) What are the special features of O and A Level campuses?
- Spacious classrooms, designed for A level teaching styles
- State-of the-art science and ICT Labs
- Recreation areas
- Common rooms
- Well-resourced libraries
- Conference rooms/auditorium for concerts and plays
9) Which subjects are being offered in A Level?
- Biology, Physics, Chemistry
- Mathematics, Further Mathematics
- Economics, Accounting, Business Studies
- Psychology, Law, History, Environmental Management, Sociology,
- English Literature, English Language, Urdu, ICT/Computer Science
- Art and Design, Media Studies, Global Perspectives and Research
Some subjects have specific entry requirements e.g. A*/A in Mathematics at O Level.
Subject options vary from school to school. Please contact your nearest TCS A Level campus for more information.
11) What is the criteria for a new subject offered at school?
Usually an interest in the subject. Some subjects require Mathematics at O Level.
13) How many subject combinations do you offer in O Level?
We offer two main streams; the Science Group and the Business Group.
Science Group: Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Computer Science
Business Group: Principles of Accounts, Economics, Business Studies/Computer Science.
12) Do you offer extra subjects in O Level?
Yes, along with 8 compulsory subjects, we offer a wide range of subjects leading towards emerging fields such as, English Literature, Sociology, Additional Mathematics, Art & Design and Environmental Management.
14) Can students change subjects?
Yes, within two weeks after the commencement of regular session of class 9 or year 12.
ADMISSION AND FEE STRUCTURE
15) When will the challan forms be issued?
In August, after the O Level result. However, most TCS A Level campuses offer provisional admissions as well. Please contact your nearest TCS A Level campus for more details.
16) Is the fee structure same in all campuses of TCS? How can I find information about fee structure at different campuses?
No, the fee varies from campus to campus and is very competitive with other educational institutions.
17) Are there any sample admission tests available?
18) Can I visit class rooms before admission?
Yes, by making a prior appointment with the respective School/Branch office. Some schools are able to let you attend “trial lessons” as well.
19) Is there any registration fee for appearing in CAIE?
Yes. Please visit www.britishcouncil.pk for more information.
GENERAL - RULES AND POLICIES
20) Are students allowed to carry mobile phones?
Students up till O Level are not allowed, but A Level students have permission to bring cell phones to school.
21) Are students going to appear for AS?
Yes, it is The City School policy that student take the AS Level examinations in Class 12. In exceptional circumstances some students may opt to take the composite papers in Class 13. Scholarships for Class 13 are only available if the student has obtained the required grades in the CAIE AS Level examinations.
22) Is there a uniform for A Level students?
Students are required to come to school in uniform from Monday-Thursday. Friday is a non-uniform day.
23) Is there any bus service for pick and drop?
No, but some families organise joint transport for their children.
24) What hygiene measures are taken for the campus canteen/cafeteria?
All school cafeterias are run by independent vendors and inspected by the school management ensuring quality, hygiene and cleanliness.
25) What security measures are taken at each campus?
Each of our campuses has a security supervisor, 8 feet high walls with barbed wires, CCTV and metal detectors. Moreover, our major campuses also have CCTV camera operators and walk-through gates.
26) Is the school environment healthy?
Yes, as well as safe and secure.
27) What is the O/A Level equivalence policy?
Matric students can also apply to study A Level.
28) Is there a Student Council?
Yes. The City School encourages students to take on responsibility for others, events and clubs and societies. These experiences are valued by universities and employers.
29) Where is my campus located?
Visit our campuses section where you will find the Google pin and School Directory. You can also find out more about your school by visiting their Facebook page.
30) What is the frequency of internal exams?
AS and A Level students take a school-based examination in December (at the school’s discretion) and a unified Mock examination in March/April.
31) How many years does it take to complete O Level?
We offer a 3-year programme starting in Class 9 and ending in Class 11.
32) Do you make students appear in final Cambridge Assessment International Examination (CAIE) in one attempt at a stretch?
No, our students appear in Islamiyat, Pakistan Studies and Urdu at the end of Class 10 in June. They appear for the rest of the subjects at the end of Class 11 in June.
33) Do you offer Matric?
Yes we do, but in specific campuses. Please visit TCS official website for more details.
34) How does O Level become equivalent to Matric?
A+ = 90, A= 85.B=75, C=65, D=55, E=45. Eight compulsory subject become equivalent to Matric.
35) What is the scope of O Level inside and outside Pakistan?
O Level is an extensive and conceptual study which provides good foundation for our students to become independent learners. Being an international certification, it is equally recognised in Pakistan and across the world.